Naomi Osaka is Still in the Wimbledon Roster, Organizer Says
Wednesday, 16-June-2021 22:00
JAKARTA, NETRALNEWS.COM - The organizer of Wimbledon says Japan's Naomi Osaka would still play in the grass-court Grand Slam championship which starts later this month, and had given no indication that she would miss the tournament.
Osaka, a 23-year-old four-time Grand Slam winner, withdrew from the French Open, saying she was taking a break from the match because she was battling with depression and anxiety.
However, chief executive of the All England Club Sally Bolton said Osaka would be in the championship, which will take place on June 28.
"We have contacted her team, but we haven't spoken to Naomi herself," Bolton said, as quoted by AFP.
"At this point she is still set to feature in the championship, and we have not received confirmation that she will not compete," Bolton continued.
Tournament director Jamie Baker said he had informed Osaka's team that communication was always open to discuss any issues that might arise.
"I had a conversation with her team," Baker said.
"It's very clear that we are here, we are completely open to any discussion whenever they want it. Hopefully it keeps going, without needing to say we want the best players to compete here no matter what."
World number two Osaka has been in the spotlight since withdrawing from the French Open.
She was fined $15,000 and threatened with disqualification from Roland Garros after Osaka refused to attend a mandatory media conference.
French Open organizers protested that they had treated Osaka with "care and respect" after they were accused of abuse.
Osaka lost in the third round of Wimbledon in 2017 and 2018, and was eliminated in the first round in 2019. Last year's tournament in Wimbledon was canceled due to the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic, as reported by Antara.
Reporter : turkhan
Editor : turkhan