JAKARTA, NETRALNEWS.COM - A sad story comes from UK, where a 16-year-old student died suddenly while leaving for school due to an infection caused by a hairball in her stomach.
Jasmine Beever from Skegness - located on the east coast of England, about four hours east of Manchester - was taken by ambulance on September 7, to the hospital, where medics are trying to save her live, according to the New York Post, Friday (9/15/2017 ).
However, her life was not saved. An autopsy found that Beever had suffered peritonitis, which occurs when a thin membrane covering the abdominal wall is inflamed. It’s usually caused by a fungal or bacterial infection. Beever's case is caused by the infected hairball in her stomach and ultimately causes the bursting ulcer that it covered her organs.
Patients who swallow their own hair are often diagnosed with Rapunzel syndrome, caused by a psychiatric disorder called trichophagia, according to the US National Institutes of Health.
"Jasmine was amazing, she was one of the kids where she would make a sad face in the room smile. She was so cheerful," Donna, the mother of Jasmine's friend, said.
Marshall called the teen's death a shock. Marshall's daughter, a longtime friend of the teen, created a Just Giving page for donations to help the family cover medical expenses.
"We are very disappointed but we want to thank everyone for everything they have done for the family," Beever's parents said.