Thursday, 22 Augst 2019 | 07:27 WIB

Turkey Doesn’t Want Khashoggi’s Case Taken to International Court

Turkish Foreign Minister, Mevlut Cavusoglu.

ANKARA, NNC - Turkish Foreign Minister, Mevlut Cavusoglu said everyone involved in the case of the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi on October 2 at the Saudi Arabian Consulate must be tried in Turkey.

"Everyone related to the murder needs to be examined and tried in Turkey," Mevlut Cavusoglu told reporters on Thursday (10/25/2018).

He spoke with his Palestinian counterpart, Riyad Al-Maliki in the Turkish capital, Ankara.

Khashoggi, a columnist for The Washington Post, was last seen on October 2, when he entered the Saudi Arabian Consulate in Istanbul.

After days of arguing that Riyadh was aware of the whereabouts of the journalist, Saudi officials admitted last week that Khashoggi had been killed in a "fight" inside the Consulate.

Earlier, Turkish President, Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Tuesday (10/23) explained his country's initial findings in his investigation, and said Khashoggi's murder was "planned".

Cavusoglu said media and international organizations had carefully followed the progress of the case, according to the Anadolu news agency on Friday (10/26) morning.

He added, "This process must be handled in a very clear and transparent manner." Turkey shares information and evidence relating to the case with those who wish to obtain detailed information as part of international law, the minister said.

"For the time being, we (Turkey) have no desire to bring this matter to an international court," Cavusoglu added.

From London, it reported that dozens of activists and protesters on Thursday gathered outside the Saudi Arabian Embassy in Central London to call on the British Government to end arms sales to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, after the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

The protest organized by the "Stop the War Coalition" was also followed by members of the International Campaign for Justice group.

"Khashoggi's murder was a terrible act carried out by the state which was completely uncontrollable," said Chris Nineham, Deputy Chair of the Stop the War Coalition.

Speaking to the Anadolu news agency, Nineham underlined the Saudi Arabian Government involvement in the war in Yemen, which is on the verge of "one of the worst humanitarian disasters in the world since World War II".

"It's a shame, the British Government is supplying very much weapons and diplomatic and political support for the Saudi Arabian regime. We believe it must end," he said.

Nineham said they protested "to demand justice for Jamal Khashoggi and called for an end to war-like aggressive behavior from Saudi Arabia in the region".

Robert Andres, a researcher from the Arab Organization for Human Rights in England, said they were at the Saudi Embassy "to request and demand the repatriation of Jamal Khashoggi's body" and an end to the war in Yemen.