Friday, 18 October 2019 | 06:33 WIB

Rapunzel Syndrome: Teenage Girl Dies after Swallowing Her Own Hair

Rapunzel Syndrome: Teenage Girl Dies after Swallowing Her Own Hair (libreshot)

JAKARTA, NETRALNEWS.COM - A 16-year girl named Jasmine Beever living in Kegness, Great Britain, had died after suffering from rapunzel syndrome. The syndrome had apprently triggered infection in her digestive system, which unfortunately led to the passing away of the teenage girl.

Rapunzel Syndrome is a newly coined term in the medical field. The term originated from the story of Rapunzel, a Disney character of a young girl with a very long hair.

Jasmine had a habit of swallowing her hair, which led to an infection in her digestive system. This syndrome in the medical world is officially known as trichobezoar

"It's heartbreaking, burying your own daughter is tough," Jasmine’s mother Donna Marshall said, as quuted from Tech Times.

Jasmine died of peritonitis, a thin layer of inflammation in the inner abdominal wall due to hairballs.

Donna Marshall said her daughter had been chewing and sucking her hair for years. Donna advised parents to warn their children of the dangers of this seemingly innocent habit.