KUALA LUMPUR, NETRALNEWS.COM - The Malaysian government has temporarily canceled visa-free facilities granted to tourists from China that had been implemented as of early January 2020 due to the outbreak of the corona virus. The virus outbreak originated from Wuhan, China.
The Malaysian Prime Minister's Office press statement said on Monday that since the corona virus case emerged in China last Sunday, the Malaysian government had followed procedures set forth by WHO, and received expert advice to deal with the spread of the corona virus.
Monitoring has been made from time to time, and various parties are doing their best to prevent transmission.
The Malaysian government has decided to temporarily cancel all immigration facilities, eNTRI (visa without arrival), Visa on Arrival, e-visas and manual visas to Chinese citizens from Wuhan City and around the Hubei region.
This decision was made after following the latest developments in the outbreak of the 2019 (2019-nCoV) corona virus in China, particularly in the Hubei region.
Ease of Immigration will be given again after the situation returns to normal.
The Malaysian Ministry of Foreign Affairs will harmonize the implementation of this decision with its counterpart in China.
The government also wants to remind everyone not to spread illegal or fake information regarding the corona virus which can cause unease to the general public.
Previously, the Interior Ministry's press statement stated the implementation of Electronic Travel Registration and Information (eNTRI) for Chinese and Indian tourists from 1 January to 31 December 2020 but continued to follow immigration rules, procedures and rules at all Malaysian entrances.
The Malaysian Ministry of Home Affairs stated that the main purpose of granting visa-free facilities is to strengthen the tourism industry by making it easier for travelers without visas to visit Malaysia.
They stated that although the government has provided visa-free facilities to Chinese and Indian citizens, tourists from both countries still need to complete registration through the eNTRI system as a security measure by the government through immigration, which will make monitoring and verification of travelers using convenience without a visa.
"In addition, travelers are also subject to the condition that the original application through eNTRI can only be carried out after 45 days from the date the traveler left Malaysia," the statement said today, as reported by Antara.
According to the Ministry, the refusal to enter can be issued if the traveler is blacklisted or classified as a category of prohibited immigrants who request the eNTRI.